Monday, July 5, 2010

God Bless America

This is our 4th Independence Day being a military family. I am so proud to say that my husband is a part of what allows our nation to be the "Land of the Free." No, it is not easy and yes we have days that we ask why are we doing this, but on days like today I know we are doing exactly what God has called us to do. We thank you for standing behind our military and supporting them.
Earlier in the week, John was promoted to ET2. To celebrate his promotion and July 4th, we invited a few friends over for a barbeque on Saturday night. We had a great time enjoying fellowship with our friends. It was kind of a bittersweet night for me. While preparing for the event, I decided to make "family recipes." I was given a homemade cookbook with hand written index cards of all my family's favorite recipes when John and I got married, so I started looking for "cook-out" recipes. I made Ms. Robbie potato salad and homemade ice cream, and I used Brittany's Flag cake and Mrs. Evon's cream cheese pound cake recipe to make dessert. Everything came out perfect and I have to say the potato salad was almost to die for. Wonderful!!
While cleaning and getting ready for everyone to arrive, Hydie and I were placing flags on the tables. Well, this led to a mini photo shoot of Hydie and Carter with their flags. Might I clarify myself, it was one flag that Carter kept stealing from Hydie. Now you understand the reason for the not so great pictures.

After dinner while the guys played a round of poker, we brought out the bounce house for the girls (Hydie and Alyssa) to play outside since it was beautiful. The girls played and played. We even got brave enough to let Carter play with the big girls. This was his first time in the bouncer so he was quite confused on what exactly he was suppose to do. The girls jumped until about 10 p.m. when we all decide that it was getting too cold and the bug were too bad to stay out any longer.

After getting warmed up inside, we decided to drive up the hill to Upper Government housing to Lookout Point and watch the fireworks at midnight. This was the first time we have seen fireworks in Kodiak because every year it has been raining and too fogger to shoot them. We were really too far away for good pictures, but this is what we saw.


We hope you all had a safe and happy 4th of July weekend!


No comments: